UNC Student Chapter of the American Meteorological Society
|The UNC Student Chapter of the AMS exists as an essential extension of curriculum, providing undergraduate students with opportunities for professional development through scholarship, service, and camaraderie.|
|Become a student member of the AMS here, and check out the AMS Career Center.|
|This local chapter is also organized under UNC Clubs & Organizations.|
News and Events
Join our Listserv
Announcements regarding meetings, scholarships, internships, and other news items of interest for UNC meteorology students are sent via our listserv.
To subscribe, send a email with no subject to firstname.lastname@example.org containing the text "subscribe AMS".
It is expected that all active UNC meteorology students subscribe.
|Vice President||Dan Stechman|
|Underclassman at Large||Hannah Huelsing|
|Faculty Advisor||Dr. Gary Huffines|
Personalized Weather Forecasts
If you would like a customized personal weather forecast at any time during the academic year, send your request via email to email@example.com indicating the location, date and time, route if traveling, and any other specific weather concerns. Our students usually provide a response within 24 hours. Specific forecasts can be issued for about a week in advance of your event, and climatological conditions can be provided for longer time frames.
Travel to the Annual Meeting of the AMS
Samples of our Activities
- Storm chasing
- Science BBQ
- End-of-year BBQ
- Annual meeting of the National AMS
- Visits to 9 News and Channel 7 News
- Trips to NCAR, NOAA, and NWS Cheyenne
- Tours of Skyfire, The Water Office, and CU Boulder’s Mountain Research Station
- Mike Nelson—Chief Meteorologist, Channel 7 News
- John Gordon—MIC with The National Weather Service, Hurricane Expertise
- Nolan Doesken—Colorado’s Climatologist, Hail Research
- Walt Lyons—Certified Consulting Meteorologist and Forerunner in Lightning Research
- Steve Rutledge—Dean of Graduate Students at CSU’s School of Atmospheric Science
- Bowling—Every Wednesday @ 7 pm
- Potluck Movie Night
- Sporting Events—Avalanche, Nuggets, UNC Hockey games
- Hanging out in the Meteorology Lab
- Poker Night
Other things to consider:
- T-Shirts & Bumper Stickers
- Tornado Model
- Club Partnerships
- Underclassmen Tutoring Programs
- AMS Bulletin Board in hallway
- Raffle Participation
- More involvement in the national chapter
- Weather calendars
- Other ideas?
this will be really cool!